POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Traunslucency Without Media MIP : Re: Traunslucency Without Media MIP Server Time
15 Aug 2024 14:24:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Traunslucency Without Media MIP
From: Jamie Davison
Date: 11 Jul 2002 15:54:06
Message: <MPG.1797f33af91f8e37989b84@news.povray.org>
> > I tried doing this myself a few weeks ago and the results using concentric
> > spheres were significantly slower then media.  I thought this was a similar
> > technique to the stacked-planes-clouds which are remarkably faster then
> > scattering media clouds.  I must be mistaken somewhere.
>
> Well, as I said, I just started playing with this method. The thing I like
> about it is that it gives you a lot of control over things that happen
> incrementally "inside" your composite object. By incrementing and decrementing
> features (such as roughness), you can get some interesting effects. I don't
> think it's any better than media, overall, just an interesting thought
> exercise. The slowness factor, in my case, was a max_trace_level of 100, for
> 100 nested spheres. I believe the falloff is much sooner than that, and I
> probably could have gotten by with a lower trace level. More on this method
> when the crayons are finished.

Hmm...  To really slow things down, would there be any way to use the
trick to simulate variable internal IOR, however crudely?

It would probably require an obscenely high max_trace_level though.

And i can't remember if you can apply a pattern to the surface iro or
not, as I't sbeen a while since I played with POV.

Jamie.